Monday, June 13, 2016

Nifty Tricks: Dried Flower Spruce Up!

As you know from my last tutorial, I'm definitely a lover of granny-chic china cabinets. I've been collecting tea cups for a few months now, and I realized all too soon how one can't keep "bringing it all home"- I ran out of space! My beautiful little built-in china cabinet has been filled up, and my fetish for chinaware has been curbed... for now, that is. I was trying to think of ways to spruce up my cabinet, though I am still of the opinion that papering it was the best thing I ever did in terms of home decor. Then, inspiration struck. Dried flowers! I have tons of them because I'm very sentimental and I just can't throw them away, especially when they are the dry-able type. I had two elegant little vases in my cabinet, so I filled them with dried carnations.



The way I see it, it's a win-win situation. I have flowers in my cabinet to delight me year-round, and when we're in a pinch to make the place look nice for guests and don't have time to pick fresh flowers, we can just pull out these vases. They're regular tea-time savers! 

I realized my mom had done something very similar with her china cabinet, and I wanted to share her simple -but lovely!- arrangement: 


I also wanted to share her beautiful Syracuse Ware china... it's so beautiful! 

But, I thought, why stop at china cabinets? Why not extend the benefits of dried flowers to elsewhere in the house? 

One thing I had already been doing was hanging the flowers to dry on the edges of my window treatments. 


It gives a very rustic look to a room- I've even done wild mint and golly, does it make a room smell good! 

Another way to spruce up a space is to place a bunch in a vase and set it on a dresser. 


Roses, eucalyptus leaves, and baby's breath dry extremely well and make for a lovely bouquet, whether dried or fresh. 

Do you use dried flowers in your house? I'd be very happy to find out new ways of utilizing them!  

No comments:

Post a Comment