Thursday, August 6, 2015

Italian Finds: Tirolese Wool Dirndl

One of the most exciting things about my Italian finds at that hallowed street bazaar was finding the Tirolese --vintage Austrian-- booth. Had I had more money, I would have cleaned them out. They had coats and dirndls and lederhosen and suits and yeah. I could go on. At any rate, I did pick up a few things... the first two of which I'm going to show you today. 



Introducing my beautiful, linen-and-wool dirndl, and the lace-insertion blouse underneath it!


Nota bene: those aren't button holes. For the longest time, I just assumed they were, until my mother and I examined it closer and found out that they're a design detail. So, like, 

"JA WE WILL MAKE THIS DIRNDL LOOK LIKE IT HAS MISSING BUTTONS AND IT WILL DRIVE PEOPLE CRAZY BUT JA IT WILL BE WONDERFUL"

 Austrian logic. I love it.


It fits me like a dream... even though I didn't try it on before I bought it. I just guessed. For the record, I wasn't going to try anything on while at a foreign street bazaar... yeah. 


Here's the sleeves of the blouse. Oh, funny thing: the bodice of the blouse is a ribbed tee shirt knit, while the sleeves are cotton, lace, and flax. And whatever those weird button things are. 

But hey. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment