Wednesday, August 15, 2012

'I Want' Costume: Sabrina, 1954

  We finally (I know, right?) watched the 1954 version of Sabrina, with Hepburn, Holden, and Bogart. It was enchanting. But even more so are the costumes, designed by the immortal Edith Head. 

  Except this dress. It's a Givenchy.


... unspeakably amazing. If you look carefully, you'll see that it's really just a pencil dress with an overskirt slapped on...


It's classy. So so classy. Black and white. Huge skirt. Fitted. 


It's epic. The black lace is just beautiful. And one more picture, because this dress is just... ftw. 



  Incidentally, we happen to own a couture Givenchy dress. It doesn't fit me (for petite sizes, erhem), but it's just beautiful. I can only imagine what owning this dress would be like. Well, I'm going to either save this idea for my own wedding dress (don't worry, I'm no where near such an event) or make it for a special dance. I dunno.



A beautiful feast of the Assumption of Our Lady to one and all!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure there is a way to adapt it to something more informal.
    If it didn't have a train. The skirt of it reminds me of the butterick whirlaway/walkaway dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Sabrina. One of my favorite Audrey Hepburn movies. I love that dress as well! Am I right in thinking all of Audrey's dresses were Givenchy? And Edith Head took the Oscar because he was uncredited?

    ReplyDelete