Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Miss Felicity Merriman- Grown Up

  I've always LOVED American Girls. I think this year marks the tenth year that I've had my Josefina doll- I purchased her at eight with part of my First Holy Communion money. (This is back in the day when they were $82, folks. Yeah, I'm old.)

  I got Felicity (before she was cool) when I was eleven. Yes, there were some jealous moments with the two of them, but I learned to keep a balance with my two beauties. I think I had it rigged so that one doll got to sleep with me while the other got her respective doll bed. 

  ENOUGH of nostalgia. Excuse me. 

   Anyway, my mother made me many girl-doll dresses, amongst them selections from Josefina and Felicity's wardrobes. But one dress I never had for Felicity or me was this one. 




   I always told myself that I would make it... someday. And that someday did come last year, when I had a bunch of light cream fabric that was free. I thought... why not?


 I made a few modifications so that an older girl might wear it. For example, the bodice is very fitted and more to the period, and the painted sash on the original was exchanged for actual embroidery on the bodice. 



 I haven't seen this dress for my age bracket anywhere else on the internet... could it be that I'm the first one to make it? Woo! First fan-made one! 


 Is it just me, or do I match the house?


 There's the embroidery. You can also see that I put a pair of dark blue ties in the side seams.


Last one, ladies! Am I waiting for Ben Davidson in that picture? 


...an older, swoon-worthy Ben Davidson?


You decide. 


  This dress will not be listed on Etsy (anytime soon, that is!), but if you're interested in one for your size, do not hesitate to contact me! I'd be happy to do this dress again.

9 comments:

  1. I too love American girl. My favorite is Kit, mainly because she's a writer. However, I do love Molly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Kit too- I think it's her story that I love the most, though. Her outfits are pretty fun, but I think what inspired me the most about her is she's so resourceful.

      Delete
  2. Oh, how lovely. A little girl's dream dress come to life...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you make that Marlene?
    It's gizmo btw :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Guillermo, I did indeed make it! I've made pretty much everything on this blog, unless otherwise stated. :)

      Delete
  4. I love this! What a great idea to sew that dress. I too remember when the dolls were $82. I had Josefina, and my sister had Felicity. I still sew American Girl doll clothes, but now for an Etsy shop. I can't wait for the 1812 girl to come out:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make a darling Felicity! And yes, it would seem that you are waiting for Ben, who will not doubt LOVE you in that dress! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey, my little sister is in love with felicity and i want to give her one of her dresses for her birthday in her personal size so she can match felicity. Would you mind making her a dress! but i have no idea how to contact you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mary! Please email me at willowsworks@gmail.com and we can discuss times, prices and such. Please bear in mind that I will be unable to work on any projects until June at the earliest.

      Delete