Monday, February 6, 2012

Marianne Dashwood Regency Dress

Ever find just the right fabric, but don't know what you're going to use it for? Well... this lovely fabric was hanging around for a little while before I finally used it. And guess what? It was a Regency dress! Of course!


 Sigh. I wish I didn't sell this dress. It was such a simple everyday dress with a lovely fabric...


I mean, how much easier can a drawstring Regency dress get? 


...AND with a built-in sash! 


Oh dear, now I want to make more Regency dresses.


On the side, if anyone attempts making this pattern, don't make the mistake of wearing without a proper Regency corset. It will not fit properly without it. 



...but there are two tutorials from Mrs. Chancey here and here on how to make the dress fit over modern undergarments.


This dress has already sold on Etsy, but I will be most happy to work with you to recreate another in your size and choice of fabrics!

3 comments:

  1. I'm hoping to make a Federalist style dress before 2016. (That will be Indiana and Terre Haute's bicentennial celebration.) Would short stays still work? I really dislike the way a Regency/Federalist corset is designed. I've had a corset with straps (as many Regency/Federalist corsets do) and it just doesn't fit correctly, or comfortably.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the short stays short work for a Federalist ensemble, as the Federalist era was still at the beginning of the Regency epoch. Of course, I could be wrong, but I think you should be fine with short stays.

    In my opinion, short stays are WAY more comfortable than any modern undergarment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great! I'll be sure to keep that in mind!

    ReplyDelete