Thursday, February 2, 2012

Arwen's Chase Dress

  My first movie costuming love.... Arwen's glorious Chase dress. Sigh. It is, in my opinion, her most intricate and complex dress- also one of her loveliest. Here is my replica of it, along with a few construction notes:
 
 

If you want him, come and claim him! 

Note: this is NOT me. I am not this pretty. My friend kindly volunteered to model for me, hence the reason the dress does not fit as well on her.

 

 I modified several patterns to get this look, some good construction notes on the general costume can be found on Alley Cat Scratch.


 I made a skirt to go under the dress, the scalloped edges on both can be seen in this photo. 


I made the polymer clay pin, by myself! You can see the lacing and the baseball stitches on the princess seams in this picture. 


For the collar, I crocheted a very looooooong thread chain, then hand-sewed it in a random pattern onto the fabric. That, my friends, was a lot of work, but it was well worth it! I also crafted Evenstar out of polymer clay.  



 Sorry for the fuzzy pic, but this is the embroidery on the upper sleeves. It's such a gorgeous and utterly elvish design, it was a delight to do!


The complex sleeves, seen from the side. There are four parts to the sleeve: sleeve cap, upper sleeve, lower sleeve, under sleeve. *catches breath* My mother and I worked on this one for a while. 


 As seen from the back, with the long sashes trailing behind the gown! 

This gown is NOT FOR SALE. At all. But, if you want one of your own, we can work together to make one in your perfect size! Also, I'd be glad to share detailed construction notes with you, just contact me or leave a comment with your email address.


4 comments:

  1. Very cool!!! Now I want to make one! :) Would you explain more about how you made the Evenstar pendant? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I printed this picture: http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Things/EvenStar/Even_Star_Web.jpg
      And started shaping regular white clay over it to fit the proportions... I couldn't find teardrop-shaped gems, so I shaped clay in the according shapes and substituted that instead. I stuck some wire in the top so that I'd be able to attach a chain to it. After the pendant was done, I baked it... painted it silver, and glued a round gem in the center.

      Not very clear, I know, but I'd love to do a tutorial on this someday. :D

      Delete
  2. Hi wondered if the pattern for this is avalible wanna make on in leather and shorter version xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I absolutely love your dress! Can you email me your construction notes on it? It's nightshadow118(at)gmail(dot)com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete