Monday, January 9, 2012

Sew Serendipity: Must Have Book!

  I was aware of Kay Whitt's book, Sew Serendipity for a while before I decided to purchase it. I really didn't know what to expect if I did buy it... and well, I finally did, and I think any beginning-intermediate seamstress should have a copy!


First of all, let's forget for a moment that this is a sewing book. Even if you bought it for inspiration and great photography, you'd be getting your money's worth!

The modeled garments are just sweet. The fabrics chosen are absolutely whimsical (and we know how much I love whimsy!) and fantabulous, providing a bold and fresh way to re-envision selecting fabric!

Then, the photos themselves- marvelous! Simply beautiful. All I can say is that they took their time making this book, and the result is amazing! 



Next, let's talk about the patterns. If you are afraid to purchase this book because you think you may have to print out the patterns and piece them yourself, have no fear. I was amazed to find a pouch with tissue pattern pieces in the back of the book! Tissue pattern pieces, ladies. Like what you buy from Simplicity, just without the pattern envelope.

The patterns themselves are simple; though I haven't assembled any of the garments yet, I am positive that it's going to be a zip to make them! Kay gives lovely illustrations and easy-to-follow instructions, making it easy for beginning sewers (sewists? Darn!) to learn how to sew with style!



 But even if you're an intermediate to advanced seamstress, you're still going to want this book. Kay illustrates some awesome techniques that will help your garments look polished and professional! 

 All in all, I have to say that this book is simply a must have. Fresh ideas, ready inspiration, and easy (and oh so pretty and fun!) patterns await you if you should decide to purchase this book!

Please visit Kay Whitt's website for more information and details about this book and her other fantastic patterns!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the lovely review! I am going to post a link to it on my Facebook page!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting to your FB page! Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I found your blog through your etsy shop and thought I'd stop by. The clothes you create are beautiful!

    Sean
    "The Vintage Dame"

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh this book is so cute!
    My mother teaches sewing classes and her older girl students are using this book. Such fun projects!
    Will you be posting what you make from it? I am sure they would be fun to see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have made the skirt pattern from that book, and I love it!

    ReplyDelete