Friday, December 23, 2011

Which Movie Costume Next?

  Oh my, what a quandary. Thanks in part to the last post and Brielle's Distracting Costume Site, I have a sudden urge to do another movie costume. BUT. Which one? Oh no.... I can't decide! So, first in line of the movie candidates are two costumes from The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. 

  Two of Susan's costumes, of course. Naturally. So, the first is her Coronation dress, which is only seen for a few brief seconds in the film.

 Number One: Susan's Coronation Dress
Ooh, I'm in love with this dress. Something awful. 
  Pretty much, I have four yards of gloriously patterned burgundy fabric that will suit just fine for the overdress. All I have to worry about is the golden ribbed sleeves and their subsequent lining, as well as the luscious cream fabric you see peeping out here and there on the bodice. Quite probably this is the one I'll end up doing, unless I'm persuaded otherwise...


Number Two: Susan's Farewell Dress

Folks, for the record, I abhor Lucy's chili-pepper dress. It's the gorgeous blue one we're lookin' at here. 
  I think I've loved this one since I first saw it in theaters. Give me one person who doesn't like it, and I'll... well, avoid them. It's just gorgeous. I've been wanting to make it for some time now, and I guess my urge was topped when I saw Brielle's version of the gown:

Golly gee whiz, this girl can costume!





  The biggest challenge of this dress would be altering a pattern to make it as close to the original as modesty will allow. Can't go runnin' around with my shoulders showing, doncha know. I like Brielle's version of the underdress neckline, it's more modest but still keeps the look of the original. However, I think I'd raise it a little more though. Just a little.
  The next challenge would be to find the right fabric at the right price. I've done really well with this very single movie costume I've made thus far, but I'm not sure about this one. The original gown is entirely in silk... sigh... but I'm not sure I'd be able to afford that. Hmm. Might have to put this one on the shelf. 


  Okay, moving on from Narnia to a galaxy far, far away... 


  I've long contemplated doing a Star Wars costume, especially one from the prequels. Leia's costumes are pretty, but not handsome enough to tempt me. So, one of Padme's costumes it is! But as I looked at the prequel costumes, I saw that the ones from the first one are definitely the most memorable. In Episode I, Padme and her Decoy have several awesome costumes with awesome hair dos. Why not? A costuming dream! SO, the question is now... which one? 


Number Three: Padme's Tatooine Disguise Outfit 

    Okay, you may be surprised, especially when I mentioned awesome costumes above. But most of Padme/Decoy's costumes are either labor-intensive (with thousands of layers) or have skin-tight pants as part of the attire. Right now, I don't feel like doing three layers or wrestling with a pair of pants, but this costume is just... so sweet. I mean, look at it. The sleeves are sweet, the tunic is sweet, even the cute little baggy pants are sweet. It's a sweet costume. It would also be loads of fun to get fabric and then age it, using various and extreme methods. Oyez.

Number Four: Sabe Decoy Battle Gown 



  This gown is the essence of utter coolness. It's so amazing. Period. The only problem with this one, is that there isn't much research that has been done on it. I mean, I've seen plenty of fan-made costumes, but no one has bothered to put up a research page on it. Hmm, I'll have to see what I can't do about that... 
  I think I would go all out and actually buy velvet to do the black details in, and some leather to make the belt. If I do this one, I'm gonna do it right. 

  Ta-ta to SW for now, now time for some classic costumes!

Number Five: Eowyn's Shield Maiden Gown 

Looks easy, right? Think again. 


  Eowyn's iconic costume from The Return of the King. The costume look quite easy, nothing really at all. Not quite. The bodice is actually made up of two parts: a vest and an accompanying quilted corselet (both heavily embroidered), and the white dress underneath has a heavily detailed neckline. Any LOTR costume is a challenge, as I've found out from doing three. Nglia Dickson knew what she was doing when she designed them, and we poor fan costumiers are still having hard time keeping up with it, even after ten years. 
  I think the only problem would be finding the fabric. My mom is an excellent guide and teacher when it comes to altering patterns; I think she and I would be able to tackle this one with relish. We'll see. 

Number Six: Eoywn's Green Gown 

Oh, Hi Theoden. Lookin' good there, dude. 
My only reaction to not doing this dress are these three words: silk, velvet, trim. All of which, my friends, are very expensive. But, I love this dress, and I guess I just posted it as a possibility for the heck of it. What do you think? 



And now, last BUT NOT LEAST: 



Number Seven: Rapunzel's Dress 


  Ooh yes! Talk about a fun dress! Fan versions have been popping up all over the internet, and I seriously want to make one of these for myself. Believe it or not, this dress is loaded with detail- while not apparent in the photo above, the upper sleeves, neckline and bodice all have little details that just add to the sweetness of the overall look. I love this dress, and I love this Princess. Most of all, I love this movie... to pieces.   
  I think the only tricky part of the dress would be to alter a pattern to make it screen-accurate... raising that neckline, though. Ah-hem.  

  So, all in all, which dress do you think I ought to make next? Comments and input appreciated!


5 comments:

  1. I'd completely, totally, 100% go with the coronation dress!!! I've been longing to make that one for a while now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I like most all of those... I think I'd have to go with Eowyn or Susan. Those are my favorite movies, so... I'm planning to make a LotR costume soon, too, which means I'm in a LotR mood...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd go with Padme's Battle dress. As far as sewing goes that seems to be a entire new galaxy (pun intended) for you. I'm always one for originallity (and so are you). Padme's dress battle is one of my favorites). It would be a very good edition to your ever expanding collection.
    Also, remember the blue one she wore in "The Clone Wars"- while she was packing for Naboo?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking that since I have the fabric for the Coronation dress, I'm going to make that one first. But, I've narrowed it down so that the Battle Dress is probably going to be after that. Thank you to EVERYONE for your lovely comments and assistance! They have aided me greatly in this most important decision!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments on my blog!
    Yours is lovely, here I was looking through your cool posts...and there was my Susan costume! hehhe.

    I was shocked and honored. Thank you, very sweet of you to say you liked my version. :)

    I look forward to seeing your version of the Dress...with the modest elements. way to go! I am all for modesty, it is so lost in our day and age.
    The other Susan Narnia one will be lovely on you too. So pretty. The color combo is awesome.


    AHhh!! I have the same 2 Star Wars costumes on my "dream list" great choices!

    I shall always go for Lord of the Rings dresses..perfect choices there too.

    Rapunzel is sooo cute! Love it.

    ReplyDelete